About Me

My photo
walsall, United Kingdom
Hi & Welcome to my blog. im Kerri. Busy mommy to Alex & Wynter, Nail varnish addict, Nail art lover, Complusive hoarder of Make up, Bargin Hunter, eBay shoppaholic, Mostly eccentric with a little bit of crazy thrown in for good measure... Come say Hi and thank you for viewing my blog!!!

Friday, 31 August 2012

Batten down the hatches....


I don't know whether its all moms around the world or just me, but as soon as the first hint of Autumn is on its way and the nights start drawing in early I go into panic mode......
....Are the family warm enough?.....Are they feed enough?.....Is there enough supplies to last?.......

For me the best way of dealing with that is cooking big hearty meals and piles of blankets, my flats freezing in the cold periods.

The thing that confounds me more than anything is where this mentality came from. Its obviously a gene that stays dormant until the little pink lines appear....anyway I digress.

I was hit by one of those sudden panics today. The weather was lousy, raining and chilly, which made me restless and moody. Time for me to hit the kitchen, but what to make.

Lasagna, Stew, Roast dinner, Cheese Bake....

I finally decided on a fish pie, as its one Ive not done before and had all the ingredients available as would anyone that's suffers from seasonal OCD like me.....lol and I thought I would include a "How To" just incase.

INGREDIENTS  Feeds 4-6

* 6 Cod Steaks or fish/sea food of your choice
* 500 ml of semi skimmed milk
* 2-3 fresh basil leaves
* 1kg of Maris Piper Potatoes
* 2 Cups of frozen peas
* Cheddar cheese sauce(packet)
* Grated strong cheese
* Teaspoon of butter













    • Peel the potatoes and cut into fairly small cubes and boil until soft
    • When the Cod is ready remove basil leaves and drain milk into a jug for later
    • Season the steaks with salt and pepper
    • Using a fork break the Cod up ensuring  an even coating covers the bottom of the dish
    • While the Cod is cooling make your cheese sauce

     










    I chose to use a packet sauce due to lack of time but if you wish to make your own this is how you do it.

     ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    INGREDIENTS

    * 75g Cheese (personal preference is fine)
    * 1 Pint of milk
    * 40g plain flour
    * 40g unsalted butter
    * Seasoning to taste

    • Combining milk, flour and butter into a pan, place on a gentle heat
    • Whisking while it simmers until it turns glossy and thickens continue to simmer for a further 2-3 minutes
    • Add cheese whisking till melted
    • Season if desired
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------












    •  Next add the peas and pour over cheese sauce, mixing the Cod, cheese sauce and peas 
    •  Drain potatoes and season with salt and pepper
    •  Melt a teaspoon of butter into 200 ml of warm milk
    •  Whilst mashing add the milk and butter until you get a smooth consistency
    •  Smooth mash onto the cod and sauce base until you get a even covering
    •  Finally sprinkle with cheese











    This can now go straight into a preheated oven on Gas mark 7 for 30 minutes, or cover with tin foil and place in the fridge if made in advance.


    What are your panic moment meals??


    Thank you for reading

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for visiting my blog & thank you for leaving me a comment.I try to respond to everyone within 24 hours.

    Kerri